“We’re excited to celebrate this milestone in our community’s growth in recognition of the inspiration that these one billion activities have created for Strava athletes around the world,” says incoming Strava CEO James Quarles.
A rapidly growing social network for athletes, Strava adds one million new members every 40 days, and athletes share an average of 1,382,138 activities per day on Strava. To date, athletes on Strava have covered 12,967,788,011 miles under their own power--the equivalent of 54,281 trips to the moon. As the number of new athletes and shared activities soars, Strava also boasts rapidly rising engagement with 17 million feed views each day, 55 million comments and kudos each week, and 2.2 million photos uploaded per week.
On Sunday, May 21, Patrick, a Strava athlete from Berlin, Germany, sharedthe billionth activityon Strava: a 1,850-meter swim that took 44 minutes and 25 seconds to complete. "I'm getting ready to race a cross triathlon this summer. I haven't been in the pool for almost a year, so it was time to start swimming again," says Patrick. Fittingly, he titled the activity, ‘Finally in the Pool Again.’
The earliest activity shared on Strava was a ride from the Fountain de Valclusein the south of France, completed on April 12, 2008, by one of Strava’s first employees, Davis Kitchel. The 7.7-mile ride covered seven Strava segments.
# # #
Strava is the social network for athletes. Our mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day. All athletes belong on Strava, no matter where they live, which sport they love or what device they use. Join the community atstrava.com.
Our favorite stats:
- 16 activities uploaded every second, 10 million every week
- 100+ compatible mobile phones and GPS devices
- 130+ employees, most in San Francisco with more in Hanover and Bristol
- 600+ professional athletes are on Strava
- 1 million athletes join every 40 days
- 1.3 billion kudos given between athletes last year
- $7.99 a month to make the most of your sport with Premium, or $59.99 a year
- 100+ cites making commuting better with Strava Metro