Veteran sportscaster Al Trautwig will again narrate the annual special and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN World Championship special has garnered more than 40 Emmy Award nominations and won 16 Emmys along with many other accolades.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as 2,000 athletes from more than 65 countries swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and ran 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain.
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship presented by Go Pro special:
- Exclusive interviews with current and former World Champions and other IRONMAN finishers
- First-time journey of eight-time Olympic medalist in short-track speed skating and IRONMAN World Championship competitor Apolo Ohno
- Dramatic and record-setting come-from-behind performance by female World Champion Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae of Australia - overcoming a nearly 15-minute deficit on the marathon course
- Blistering bike pace by male World Champion Sebastien Kienle -- from 38th place out of the water to claim victory
- Remarkable story of perseverance from Italian CART racing legend and Paralympic handcycle champion Alex Zanardi
- An iron-willed Lisa Hallett, who competes to remember her fallen husband John and the sacrifice of other American military service members
- Boston Marathon Race Director Dave McGillivray’s leadership through tragedy and IRONMAN journey
- New and unique course perspective utilizing GoPro cameras
For more information about the 2014 IRONMAN World Championship presented by GoPro and the NBC broadcast special, please visit www.ironman.com.
The iconic IRONMAN Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Recognized for excellence through distinguished events, world-class athletes and quality products, IRONMAN has grown from a single race to a global sensation with more than 190 events across five unique brands: IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3, 5150 Triathlon Series, Iron Girl and IRONKIDS. For more information, visit www.ironman.com
--NBC SPORTS GROUP--