Encore Presentation of "Spirit of the Marathon" Announced
From press release.
WHAT: Due to popular demand, "Spirit of the Marathon" will be shown in select movie theatres nationwide a second night on Thursday, February 21.
More than a sports event, "Spirit of the Marathon" follows six runners' journeys as they prepare for and ultimately face the challenge of the Chicago Marathon.
WHEN: Thursday, February 21st at 7:30 p.m. local time in more than 200 AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark USA Inc., Goodrich Quality Theaters, Marcus Theatres, and Regal Entertainment Group movie theatres through NCM's Digital Broadcast Network.
Tickets for the Encore presentation will be available Friday, January 25 at presenting theatre box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com. For a complete list of presenting theatre locations, please visit the website (theatres are subject to change).
WHO: National CineMedia's (NCM) Fathom, in partnership with Active.com, and Wasserman Media Group, presents "Spirit of the Marathon" on the big screen in high definition with Cinema Surround Sound on January 24th and again on February 21st.
"Spirit of the Marathon" is the collaborative effort of three-time Academy Award winner Mark Jonathan Harris, Telly Award winner and marathon runner Jon Dunham and producer/marathoner Gwendolen Twist. Runners and runners alike will enjoy a "Behind-the-Scenes" featurette that includes interviews with the director and producers, dramatic race footage, as well as a Q&A session with Olympians Deena Kastor and Ryan Hall in a 2008 Olympics preview.
On The Big Screen For One Night: January 24, 2008 "Spirit Of The Marathon"
December 17, 2008
Centennial, CO (December 17, 2007) - To many runners, a marathon is measured by much more than miles, kilometers or the hours it takes to complete - it's measured by sweat, blisters and perserverence, as well as physical and mental endurance. The documentary, "Spirit of the Marathon," captures the individual journeys six runners take to prepare for and ultimately face the challenge of the Chicago Marathon in an extraordinary theatre event that portrays the drama of the famed 26.2 mile race. More than a sports event , "Spirit of the Marathon" is an inspirational journey with unique, theatre-only features that will be embraced by runners and non-runners alike.
National CineMedia's (NCM) Fathom, in partnership with Active.com, an online community of the Active Network, and Wasserman Media Group, is proud to present "Spirit of the Marathon" on the big screen in high-definition with Cinema Surround Sound on Thursday, January 24 at 7:30 p.m. local time to more than 460 participating AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark USA Inc., Goodrich Quality Theaters, Marcus Theatres, National Amusements and Regal Entertainment Group movie theatres and the Penn Cinema (Lititz, PA) performing arts center through NCM's Digital Broadcast Network.
A "Behind-the-Scenes" featurette produced specifically for - and shown only at this one-night event - includes interviews with the director and producers as well as marathon veterans reminicscing about their first marathon experiences. The featurette highlights deleted scenes, dramatic race footage and previews the upcoming 2008 Olympics with a Q&A session with Olympians Deena Kastor and Ryan Hall. Tickets for this special one-time-only event are available at presenting theatre box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com. For a complete list of presenting theatre locations and prices please visit the website.
Four years in the making, "Spirit of the Marathon" is the collaborative effort of three-time Academy Award winner Mark Jonathon Harris, Telly Award winner and marathon runner Jon Dunham and producer/marathoner Gwendolen Twist. Filmed on four continents, the movie brings together a diverse cast of amateur athletes and marathon veterans including:
* Deena Kastor - 2004 Olympic Bronze Medalist - As a professional runner for more than a decade, Deena has set numerous American and world records but never attained a marathon victory. A 2004 Olympic Bronze medalist in the women's marathon, Deena set her marathon sights on the Chicago Marathon before trying out for the 2008 Olympic Games.
* Leah Caille - First-time Marathoner - Picking up the pieces from her failed marriage, single-mother Leah found herself at an all-time low. Leah regained health and happiness by joining a running program and completing many races before deciding to train for and run the Chicago Marathon.
* Gerald "Jerry" Meyers - Four-time Marathoner - Jerry has been a runner since the 1970s but never ran a marathon until he was 65. He races in the Chicago Marathon at 70 years old with his 40-year-old daughter who was inspired to train for the marathon by her father's marathon accomplishments.
* Daniel Njenga - World Class Marathoner - A native of Nyahururu, Kenya, Daniel lives and trains in Japan where he is a two-time winner of the Tokyo International Marathon. Daniel has finished in the top three in the Chicago Marathon for six consecutive years with a personal best of 2:06:16 which ranks him as one of the all-time fastest runners in the world.
* Lori O'Connor - First-time Marathoner - Lori, a Northwestern University student persuing her doctorate in sociology, trained for four months to race in the Chicago Marathon while raising funds for Genesis of Pittsburgh, the non-profit adoption agency that matched her with a family as an infant.
* Ryan Bradley - Boston Marathon Hopeful - Ryan's participation in and completion of the Chicago Marathon will ultimately help him reach his goal of running in the Boston Marathon - a goal he previously missed by 11 seconds. Cameras follow Ryan as he trains for the Chicago Marathon and ultimately experiences the marathon in a way he never imagined.
"It was a thrill to be a part of 'Spirit of the Marathon' and even more exciting to see the essence of this great sport captured so beautifully," said Deena Kastor, 2004 Olympic Bronze Medalist and featured runner. "It is my greatest hope that millions will relate to 'Spirit of the Marathon' and that many more be inspired by it."
"NCM Fathom is excited to partner with Wasserman Media Group to bring this inspirational and educational theatre event to the big screen following its recognition at the Chicago International Film Festival," said Dan Diamond, vice president of NCM Fathom. "'Spirit of the Marathon' is an event that will connect young and old, those who run and those who don't. It is a powerful experience for all."